Real Device Testing (RDT) – Overview
RDT is a mobile app and web testing service that enables developers to run their tests on real, physical Android, and iOS devices that are hosted on secure premises. NetStorm / RDT can perform automating functional, performance, stress, regression, and stability testing of Android & iOS apps and associated services.
NetStorm / RDT provides a versatile mobile-application testing platform using real iOS and Android devices on cloud. NetStorm / RDT has the largest device farm of real mobile devices, gathered from different regions globally, including the most versatile OS, OEM, and hardware configurations for Android and iOS developers. This helps in test automation, remote manual access and REST API to access, run and manage any tests with these devices.
There are three types of applications, which can be tested on Real Device as following:
- Native Apps: A native application is created for platforms, such as mobile and tablets.
- Mobile Web Apps: These are server-side apps to access website(s) on mobile using different browsers, such as Chrome, Firefox by connecting to a mobile network or wireless network, such as Wi-Fi.
- Hybrid Apps: These are combination of Native apps and Web apps.
Supported Operating Systems
RDT supports following operating systems:
Depending on selected OS, it supports following type of devices:
RDT in NetStorm
Follow the below mentioned steps to perform RDT in NetStorm:
- Login to NetStorm, navigate to Scenario window, and create a Scenario (by providing Project, Sub-Project, and Scenario name).
- Navigate to Schedule Settings section, add a group, and select type as RDT URL’s.
- Select the Device, OS, model, and version.
- Add RDT URL by clicking the icon.
- Provide the Page Name, URL, and Checkpoint. Checkpoints are provided to validate the content of a Page. As per checkpoint rule, session will continue or abort as defined in script. User can add more than one checkpoints and can edit or delete them too. User can add multiple Pages and checkpoints.
- Save the Scenario Settings by clicking the icon and Start it by clicking the icon.
- Open the Debug Trace Logs from Web Dashboard’s View menu.
Debug Trace Logs View
This provides the detailed information on how the Script Test is running.
- Once the Script Test is completed, open Reports from TestRun window.
- Upon clicking Reports, following window is displayed. Click the Page Details Reports within the Ready Reports section on left panel.
- User can also click on View Reports / Page Detail Report from Debug Trace Log window.
- Upon clicking the Page Details Reports button, Page Average Report is displayed.
- Upon clicking the Page Average Additional Information icon , user can see Page Average additional information Reports that provides addition information of the page, such as Min / Max / Average of DOMContentLoadedTime, OnLoad Time, Page Load time, and Start Render Time.
- Upon clicking the Page Name from Page Average report, user can see Page Detail Reports for that Page.
- Upon clicking Session Details icon from Page Detail Reports of any Page, user can see Session Detail Reports.
- Upon clicking the Requests of a Page, user is navigated to Request Detail window of that particular page.
There are three icons for various Reports on Request Details Page:
|Content Type and Domain Statistics Report|
|Page Speed Report|
Content Type and Domain Statistics Report
Page Speed Report
- From Session Details Page, user can click on Play Session Video button to view the video for the whole Session.
- On clicking the Visual Comparison button from Page Detail Report, user can see the Filmstrips as an image, Video, and Visual Progress of a Page.
- For Comparing Reports, user needs to select two or more Pages and click the Compare Waterfall button on Page Detail Reports window.
This displays the Page Detail Compare Report.
For Visual Comparison between two or more pages, user needs to select Pages and click on Visual Comparison button on Page Detail Reports window. This displays visual comparison as film strips, visual progress, and video.
- To view the Average of two or more pages, user needs to select the pages and click on Average Reports button from Page Detail Reports window.