Instrumentation Profile Maker
Instrumentation profile maker is a utility provided in ND Config UI, which is used to make instrumentation profile in XML format. Currently, this is supported for Java and NodeJS agents only. It just takes inputs as a list of FQMs in .txt file and instrument them in XML format.
Import XML File
To import the file from file system, click the Browse button. A window is displayed from where user can browse the file and upload for its conversion to XML file. The raw file should contain fully qualified method names and should be with .txt extension. User can also search for a file using the search option.
Once the selection is done, click the Upload button, the file gets imported, added to the list, and the converted XML is displayed in the panel.
View XML File Content
To view XML content of a file, select it from the drop-down list and click the View button.
Create Instrumentation Profile
To create an instrumentation profile, follow the below mentioned steps:
- Click the Create button.
- Right click over the text All and click the Add Package button. The Add Package window is displayed.
3. Enter the package name and click the OK button. The package is added to the instrumentation profile.
4. Now, right-click over the package name and click the Add Class The Add Class window is displayed. (To delete the package, click the Delete Package option).
5. Enter the class name, and click OK. The class is added within the specified package.
6. Add a method within the class. To do this, right-click over the class name and click the Add Method (To delete the class, click the Delete Class option).
7. Enter the method name and click the OK The method is added within the specified class. To delete a method, right-click over the method name and click the Delete Method option.
8. Specify the file name with which the instrumentation profile file is to be saved and click the Save button. The file is saved successfully.
Edit an Instrumentation Profile File
Once created, user can edit an instrumentation provide for adding more packages/classes/methods. This can also be used for deleting the same. To do this, select the instrumentation profile file from the drop-down list and click the Edit button. The instrumentation profile is displayed in the edit mode. Navigate to the particular element (package/class/method) and perform the required operation (add/delete). Below is a sample illustration after adding another method stop()V at the method level within the Thread class.
Delete an Instrumentation Profile File
User can delete an instrumentation profile by first selecting the instrumentation profile and then clicking the Delete button.
Clear XML File Content
To clear XML file content of an instrumentation profile, select the file from the drop-down list and click the Clear button, the content of the file is cleared and nothing is displayed in the content area.
Instrumentation Profile Details
By clicking the Details button, it will show all the information about the selected instrumentation profile applied on the profiles, which are connected to the topology or any other level.
- If any instrumentation profile, which user is editing, is not used in any profile, then user can delete or edit the instrumentation profile.
- Below screenshot is displayed to the user, if any instrumentation profile is applied to profile and user is saving the instrumentation profile at run time.
If user clicks on “Yes” button then instrumentation profile is saved and RTC request will be sent to each level (Topology, Tier, Server and Instance) where the instrumentation profile is used in profile.
Below screenshot is for the RTC information.
Instrumentation profile applied to profile will not be deleted, until user delinks the instrumentation profile from the profile.
Below screenshot will be shown to the user for the same.