Capabilities – NetDiagnostics Enterprise
NetDiagnostics Enterprise is a comprehensive Application Performance Management solution offering monitoring, diagnostics, advance alerts and comprehensive reporting and visualization capabilities. An overview of these capabilities can be obtained by going through following features.
- Monitor and Manage Business Transaction Health: Analyze the performance status of business transactions – slow, very slow, or failed (due to errors). This can be viewed right at the tier, server, or instance view level. NDE helps to pin-point the specific component/s causing performance issues. NDE also provides insight into business transaction health trend allowing engineering teams to proactively correct issues.
- Virtual Machine Monitor: Quickly check the health of VMware host by monitoring CPU, memory utilization, number of virtual machines configured and running, and much more.
- Integration Point Monitoring: Monitor and analyze availability and performance of the integration points, its thread pool usage and tuning. Get early warning before the threads used by an integration point get busy.
- Network Layer Errors/ Retransmission: Analyze server for the Ethernet throughput, TCP/IP connections, network errors, max connections to a single IP. This leads to finding the right solution to issues, e.g. need to add more IPs
- CPU Usage Analysis: Analyze CPU and the cause of its high usage. Determine whether the CPU time is in user space or kernel space. NDE provides insight into the root cause of high CPU, whether it is because of Java instance or because of some other parameters like garbage collection, batch jobs, Disk I/O, and high memory consumption etc.
- Load Balancing: Evaluate load balancing across multiple data centers and between servers. Erratic load balancing can cause a server to go down because of unprecedented high load
- Heap Dump Analysis: Determine memory leak or any other heap issues and help re-evaluate the code and design of the application, which leads to memory leak and doesn’t allow garbage collection to clear up the unused objects from the heap.
- Load Average Analysis: Determine whether the application design should be re-evaluated or that the disk needs to be partitioned appropriately for usage by other systems and users.
- Java Garbage Collection (GC) Tuning: Analyze GC metrics to determine if it is the cause of performance degradation. This helps to fine tune to the right GC setting for optimum performance.
- Flight Recorder: Capture detailed low level run-time information on how JVM and java applications are behaving.
- Methods Analysis: Analyze methods to determine issues at the code level. Methods can be analyzed for
o Method level invocation rate and execution time, and CPU utilization
o Comparison with baseline before and after the fix
- Pattern Matching: The root cause can be determined by pattern matching spike with other graphs showing the tendency to vary together. For example, the high response time could be because of a thread hotspot.
- Thread Dump Analysis: Analyze and verify the state of threads, whether they are running or stuck (wait or deadlock). For example, if a thread is stuck on a particular method then it affects the server response time. Thread dumps can be:
o Alert based,
o On-demand, and
o Schedule based
- Thread Pool Analysis: Analyze the threads as per configuration along with their status – hogging or in blocked state. Thread pool gives information about idle thread count, total thread count that the application can handle, pending user requests.
- Cache Diagnostics: Analyze whether the network cache is offloading properly or not. NDE helps determining whether the network cache is able to manage appropriate traffic and divert the rest to the origin server.
Reporting and Dashboard
- Powerful Reporting Engine: NDE provides easy to use comprehensive set of template based reports capturing numerous metrics, allowing users to export them in different formats. Visual illustration of monitoring and reporting data in a highly-customizable user-friendly dashboard.
- Trend Analysis Comparison Reports: A reporting feature to compare and analyze improvements and optimizations between releases before and after the fix is applied.
- Application End-to-End View : Provides real-time insights into performance of critical business KPIs, including sales orders, revenue, etc.
Automate a corrective action including collection of relevant data which would help in diagnostics, such as thread dumps. NDE supports following alerts:
- Capacity alerts based on SLAs.
- Behavior alerts based on baseline or the trends of the previous performance.