Product management professional is responsible for guiding the success of a product and leading the cross-functional team that is responsible for improving it. It is an important organizational role — especially in technology companies — that sets the strategy, roadmap, and feature definition for a product or product line.
The role spans many activities from strategic to tactical and provides important cross-functional leadership — most notably between engineering, marketing, sales, and support teams. Product management professional will provide the deep product expertise needed to lead the organization and make strategic product decisions. He or she will often analyze market and competitive conditions, lay out a product vision that is differentiated and delivers unique value based on customer demands.
Desired Candidate Profile:Here are the core aspects of product leadership that all product managers should feel accountable for:
- – Strategy: This position will be responsible for setting a product vision and strategy. Their job is to clearly articulate the business value to the product team so they understand the intent behind the new product or product release. The product management professional owns the roadmap and must prioritize building what matters most to achieve the strategic goals and initiatives behind the product.
- – Releases: Product management professional must plan what their teams will deliver and the timeline for implementation. This holds true no matter which development methodology the engineering team uses. This position is responsible for defining the release process and coordinating all of the activities required to bring the product to market. This involves bridging gaps between different functions within the company and aligning all of the teams involved — namely marketing, sales, and customer support. Responsibilities also include managing dependencies in and across releases to complete release phases and milestones.
- – Ideation: This position determines which ideas should be promoted into features to push the product strategy forward — namely those that will achieve key objectives for the product line and business. To this end, product management professional also ensure that feedback and requests are seamlessly integrated into their product planning and development processes. Product managers then communicate the status of ideas back to the customers, partners, and internal team members who submitted them.
- – Features: The product management professional prioritizes features by ranking them against the strategic goals and initiatives. This requires making difficult trade-off decisions based on the value that new features will deliver to customers and to the business. This position is also responsible for defining the requirements for each feature and the desired user experience.
- – Competitive Intelligence: This position is responsible for continuously comparing Cavisson products with competing products for strength and weaknesses, and updating the intel at a regular interval of time.
- – Analyst Relations: This position is responsible for maintaining relationship with Analyst community including but not limited to Gartner, Forrester, EMA, etc. They’ll be responsible for scheduling briefings and inquiry calls with the stakeholders at a regular frequency.
Product management professional will work closely with engineering on the technical specifications and ensure that teams have all of the information they need to deliver a complete product to market.