Site Reliability Engineering deals with the operational efficiencies around availability and resiliency of an application or it’s infra. In any enterprise, it is evolved by a team of software engineers responsible for maintaining large-scale application environments and unites development and operations.
SRE deals with best practices like real-time monitoring of applications/services/ Infra and alerting to enhance productivity and development practices to automate and improve the system’s health and availability.
How it differs from DevOps
DevOps is more about streamlining development operations for building a robust product. Whereas, SRE is a practice of creating and maintaining a highly resilient service.
DevOps primarily focuses more on the automation, SREs focus on stability and scalability of a production environment, as well as observability.
- Ensuring an engineering focus
- Ensuring high availability
- Maintaining compliance with change management
- Forecasting and provisioning the capacity of the system
What it does
The efficient utilization of assets is always an important aspect a service looks after. System performance slows down as more load gets added. The slowdown in service results in the loss of capacity. At the same point in time, a slow system may even stop serving, which corresponds to absolute slowness and may be directly proportional to revenue loss. SRE provides a platform to meet the capacity target at a specific response speed, thus it clearly focused on a service’s performance. The service is monitored and modified to improve its performance, capacity, and efficiency.
Key SRE metrics
- System Health Stats
- Application Performance metrics.
- SLO violation duration graph
- Session Duration
- Business Transaction Response Time/Load
- Error Rate
- Batch Latency
- Counts of cache hits
- Database Response Time
- Real-time performance
SLI/ SLO Monitoring using Cavisson Monitoring Suite
Insights into application performance with SLO focused metrics within an interactive dashboard
- CPS/ CPM, Errors for each service
- Error, Latency, throughput stats along with the time taken by integration point calls
- Insight into infrastructure health with Disk, system load stats to identify potential issues
- Drill down to individual requests for detailed insight and RCA
- Synthetic monitoring to check real-time availability of applications
SLO driven real-time alerts
- Trigger alerts with manual or dynamics threshold for different severity states
- Drill down from alerts for detailed insight and RCA
- Configure alerts across different metrics along with percentile/ rate and custom metrics
- Geo map and Health dashboard allows to track uptime and system/ application health
- Identify patterns and trends in behavior, and correlate to assess the ongoing viability of SLOs
- Business performance monitoring using business KPI Dashboard (Order/ Revenue/ cart)
To know more, please follow Site Reliability Engineering – https://www.cavisson.com/site-reliability-engineering/ capability of Cavisson.